exogenous, intracerebral, intraventricular etc.

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 23 20:04:06 EST 1997

In <5eetgh$90d at newsgate.duke.edu> <stump002 at acpub.duke.edu> writes:

>Hi Frank,
>
>	Please give me a little advice. My last three blood tests
indicated
>that I didn't have any sodium in my blood. My doctors were very upset.

>I'm not a doctor and have a very limited medical understanding. Why is

>sodium so important to have in one's blood.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Tom Lockwood

Are you sure he said "sodium" ?  ONLY sodium?  not
"sodium--something-or-other"??

Are you sure he said "NO sodium"?  or did he say "not enough sodium"??

Why is it important?  The LONG answer is very long (and I don't know
much of it; important role in nerve activity, etc.).  The SHORT answer
is: you would be dead if you really did not have any sodium in your
blood.

Did he say anything about diabetes insipidus?  did he say sodium was
the only electrolyte that was low?  (e.g. what about potassium?)
Did he talk about diabetes insipidus?  did he talk about GatorAde?

Most Americans have the opposite problem: too much sodium, mostly from
too much sodium chloride (i.e. "salt") in their food.  Can contribute
to high blood pressure.

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group