help: convulsive movements

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 24 23:52:22 EST 1997

In <5eu4e3$fc_002 at glas.apc.org> vrkv at glasnet.ru (Valery G.P.) writes:

>Dear all,
>
>Our 10 years old boy during several years has some convulsive
>movements: he twitches, sniffs nose, open mouth, sometimes he
>rolls up eyes, sometimes he twitches hands. The typical intervals
>between such movements are 1-3 min. He was examined by
>neurologists very thoroughly but they found nothing. The
>encephalo_gramm also showed nothing.
>If you could provide any suggestions about possible diagnosis
>and/or possible treatment we would be very grateful.
>
>Valery,
>vrkv at glasnet.ru

Did the neurologists consider Tourette's syndrome and (explicitly)
rule it out?

Maybe more info would be helpful.  For example,
Are these specific tics (maybe a better term than convulsive
movements?) always the same?  Are the intervals you refer to intervals
between a whole stereotyped sequence involving all the tics or do you
mean that he does one or the other every 1-3 minutes?

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group