"Brain freeze"?

Ronald Blue rcb5 at MSN.COM
Fri Feb 28 12:03:56 EST 1997

----------
From: 	CASSIDY-FELTGEN at worldnet.att.net
Sent: 	Friday, February 28, 1997 10:58 AM
To: 	neur-sci at net.bio.net
Subject: 	"Brain freeze"?

Can anyone tell me what mechanism causes the rapid, brief headache pain
when a cold substance is ingested quickly?  Related to this is my
question regarding the brain not sensing pain during brain surgery, but
a person's perception of headaches as localized pain within the brain?
Is this a paradox or are headaches not actually occuring within the
brain?

Paradox.  If you put ear phones on you hear the sound in the middle of
your head.  Ron