PrP protein in other tissues

Dr S.K. Coleman sarahc at bc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 11:35:34 EST 1997

On 26 Feb 1997, Mr A Yool wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Another prion question ...
>
> Is the PrP prion protein found exclusively in nervous cells or
> is it more widely distributed throughout the body?
>
> In particular, does anyone know of any appropriate references which
> can help here (we're presently tracking down the references people
> gave us to our previous questions!).
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> W. J. Edmunds

Hi

I dont know what references you were given previously, but have you
tried BIDS/MEDLINE for John Collinge at St Marys Medical School London
or Chris Bostock Edinburgh, Institute Animal Health (I think). He has
just given a very good lecture here (Imperial College) on BSE and
Scrapie.
As regards the localization of the Prion protein, it is found
throughout the body. Neuronal tissue, lymphatic system, kidneys etc.

Hope this helps

S. K. Coleman