"Brain freeze"?

J.Browndyke cogito at premier.net
Fri Feb 28 14:19:15 EST 1997

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:58:24 -0500, CASSIDY-FELTGEN at worldnet.att.net

>Can anyone tell me what mechanism causes the rapid, brief headache pain
>when a cold substance is ingested quickly?  Related to this is my
>question regarding the brain not sensing pain during brain surgery, but
>a person's perception of headaches as localized pain within the brain?
>Is this a paradox or are headaches not actually occuring within the

I've always assumed that the "brain freeze" had something to do with
the relative location of the hypothalamus to the human palate and the
constriction/dilation of blood vessels around this area.

Actually, headaches can be subjectively localized to a number of
locations around the head (e.g., temples, occiptial region, etc.).
The headache doesn't occur in the head but on the surface of the skull
as stretch receptors react to the constriction/dialation of the vessel

Hope this helps some,
Jeff Browndyke
Jeffrey N. Browndyke, M.A.
Ph.D. Student in Medical/Clinical Psychology
Louisiana State University	Email: cogito at premier.net
Department of Psychology	Fax: (504) 388-4125
236 Audubon Hall		URL: http://www.premier.net/~cogito
Baton Rouge, LA. 70803

*Neuropsychology Central  -  http://www.premier.net/~cogito/neuropsy.html