Isn't it lucky?

Michael Hucka hucka at
Thu Jan 9 02:11:42 EST 1997

  mbrisbane> Isn't it amazingly fortunate that every way that the brain can
  mbrisbane> be influenced aperceptually, IE without going through the five
  mbrisbane> senses, is either impossible or unsubtle? Unsubtle meaning, for
  mbrisbane> example, surgically implanting electrodes. Just think if that
  mbrisbane> weren't the case! Surely we'd be a planet of zombies by now!

I won't argue with the last sentence, but as to "subtle" manipulations of the
brain, I think there are many ways to do it without going through the 5
senses.  Chemical means are probably the most obvious; foods and drugs can
cause subtle changes in various aspects of brain and behavior, and most
people probably wouldn't consider such manipulations "perceptual".

Mike Hucka     hucka at     <URL:>
 Ph.D. candidate, computational models of human visual processing, U-M AI Lab
     UNIX admin & programmer/analyst, EECS Dept., University of Michigan