Isn't it lucky?

Samson staring at my.screen
Thu Jan 9 16:43:00 EST 1997

In article <32d537d7.57900946 at>, rogue007 at
(temporary email address) wrote:

> In <82pvzf491t.fsf at> Michael Hucka
> <hucka at> wrote...

> >I think there are many ways to do it without going through the 5
> >senses.  Chemical means are probably the most obvious; foods and drugs can
> >cause subtle changes in various aspects of brain and behavior, and most
> >people probably wouldn't consider such manipulations "perceptual".
> This is extremely interesting.  Can you give some examples of changes
> in brain and behavior resulting from foods or drugs that aren't
> detected by the senses (I'm assuming that by 'brain and behavior' you
> mean responses by systems within the brain to stimuli, and other
> similar responses in other organs or organ systems)?

He means that the manipulations are not carried out by delivering
information to the senses. "Aperceptual" manipulation is not necessarily
_non-perceivable_, nor does it imply that changes in perception will not
take place. It's just that once the manipulation is perceived, it's too
late to resist...

smisch at (emoticons implied by context)

'Where in the world are lunatics allowed to bathe naked in the moonlight?' -- R.D. Laing