Increase the surface tension of water

Richard Phillips Rich at
Thu Jan 9 17:53:47 EST 1997

In article <5arda4$82t at>, Superdave the
Wonderchemist <thweatt at> writes
>Billy Yeung Kei Chun (billyy at wrote:
>: Hi, I am now doing a research project in class on "how to increase to
>: surface tension of water"  The water is just the ordinary water from the
>: tap that we use in our daily life.  If anyone realize the answer of possess
>: any information please help me out of it.  Thank you
>: Billy
>I will help:
>According to my hady-dandy CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (70th
>edition, 1989-1990, CRC Press, USA) the surface tension of "pure" water
>against air at 20 degrees C is 72.75 dynes/cm.
>At 0 degrees celcius, the surface tension of water is 75.6 dynes/cm, at
>100 degress it is only 58.9 dynes/cm.
>-Superdave The Wonderchemist

Dear Superdave The Wonderchemist

        Would dynes/cm be some sort of ancient measurement?
        Does it have any relationship to Newtons/metre????

        Ordinary Richard The Abandonedchemistryfirstyearuniversity

p.s celcius ... Superspelling of celsius, I presume :)
Richard Phillips