Inflammatory mechanisms in Parkinson's disease

Peter H. Proctor pproctor at neosoft.com
Tue Jan 14 17:24:25 EST 1997

In article <32DA5058.3FD7 at mailhost.net> Serge Helfrich <s.helfrich at mailhost.net> writes:
>From: Serge Helfrich <s.helfrich at mailhost.net>
>Subject: Inflammatory mechanisms in Parkinson's disease
>Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:10:16 +0100

>Hi!

>I'm working on some preparations for a research on the pathogenesis of
>(idiopathic) Parkinson's disease in relation to the increment of
>inflammatory proteins in certain brain regions. I'm wondering if the
>involvement of interleukins merely concerns the process of
>neurodegeneration or that it in fact reflects a mechanism of
>compensation, i.e. that those proteins act as neurotrofic factors.

>A possible mechanism of interleukin induction involves the activation of
>transcription factor NF-kappa B by reactive oxygen intermediates
>(Kaltschmidt et. al. 1993, Mol. Asp. Med. 14:171-190). So there seems to
>be a link with the oxidative stress hypothesis.

     Active oxygen species are potent mediators of the inflammatory process.
SOD in its pharmaceutical form "Orgotein" is even used as an antiinflammatory
agent.    For a review of such things ( he says modestly ) see:  P Proctor,
Free Radicals and Human Disease, in "CRC Handbook of Free Radicals and
Antioxidants", vol 1 (1989)p209-221.    Includes a bunch of stuff on
Parkinsons, etc. and Active oxygen species,  which ain't exaclty new stuff.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD, MD ( "Dr. P" )