joining spinal cord

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 2 20:48:24 EST 1997

In one of the invited lectures at the International Neuropsychology
Society meeting in Bergen (Norway) last week, a report--in Science, I
believe, in an issue I must have missed last year?--was  summarized re
an experiment with rats.  Apparently some degree of functional recovery
was achieved in some rats--SOME degree, because it was not clear how
much was based on local reflex and how much on specific signals froom
higher up.  Will try to post name of speaker when I have the program a
hand.

Unless I'm confusing it with another aspect of his talk, the trick was
to use peripheral myeline which does not (as central myelin does)
inhibit neural growth.

Hmm..coming back to me now...your query re Schwab.  I THINK he's the
guy I met at ARNMD annual mtg at NY Academy of Medicine last December,
speaking on the anti-myelin approach.  Again, my brain prostheses
notes, programs) are at work, but is he perhaps in Switzerland???
Maybe he's in Soociety for Neuroscience directory.

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group