St. Moritz meeting (Growth & Death in the nervous system)

Prof. Adriano Aguzzi adriano at pathol.unizh.ch
Mon Jul 7 11:33:29 EST 1997

Dear Colleagues,

Here I would like to give you some information on the
XVII meeting of the Swiss Society of Neuropathology,
which will take place in St. Moritz (one of the most
famous Swiss skiing resorts) in March 14-18th, 1998.
This venue sports a 30-year-old tradition of bringing
together neuropathologists, neuro-clinicians, and
neuroscientists interested in disease mechanisms.
We specifically welcome the participation of "Aerzte im
Praktikum", medical students and PhD students, who will
enjoy a  50% discount on the registration fee (details
below).

In order to foster intense communication in-house and on
the skiing slopes, the meeting will be residential at the
following address:
  Hotel Laudinella
  Address/Adresse: 7500 St. Moritz
  Telephone: ++41-81-832 21 31
  Telefax:   ++41-81-833 57 01

Main topic will be "Growth and Death in the Nervous
System". We will have sessions on experimental and
clinical neurooncology, on the genetics of neural cancer,
on neurodegeneration, on prion diseases, and on
neuroinflammatory diseases.

Down this very long e-mail message, you can find the
following items:

1. How to get more information about this meeting
2. How to register
3. How to submit abstracts (for oral or poster
   communication)
4. A preliminary program
5. How to reach St. Moritz
6. Legal stuff (deadlines, reimbursement etc.)
7. Acknowledgments

I sincerely hope to welcome you in St. Moritz.
With best regards

Adriano Aguzzi, M.D., MRCPath
Professor of Neuropathology and Head, Inst. of
Neuropathology
University Hospital of Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse 12
CH-8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Tel. ++41-1-2552107, fax ++41-1-2554402

1. How to get more information about this meeting

At the bottom of this e-mail you will find a preliminary
program, along with the list of plenary speakers who have
confirmed their participation.
More detailed information on the venue, on St. Moritz,
and on the skiing conditions (including live camera
pictures from the neighbouring mountains updated several
times per day) can be found at our web site with the
following address:
 http://www.unizh.ch/pathol/neuropath/StMoritz98/neuro17a.html

If you wish us to mail information to you via regular
"sneak mail" (including a poster announcing the meeting),
please fill the form here and e-mail it back to us:

** BEGIN OF REQUEST FORM FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION **
*** ATTENTION: THIS IS NOT A REGISTRATION FORM !!! ***
First and Middle Name:
Family Name: :
Title:
Institution:
Address:
ZIP code:
City (+ state for USA):
Country:
International dial code:
City dial code:
Phone no.:
Fax No.:
E-mail:
***** END OF REQUEST FORM FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ****

2. How to register

The easiest way is to register on-line through our web
site at address
http://www.unizh.ch/pathol/neuropath/StMoritz98/neuro17a.html

The web site mentioned above contains detailed
information on the venue, on St. Moritz, and on the
skiing conditions (including live camera pictures from
the neighbouring mountains updated several times per
day).

In case you have any problems, or need clarifications,
feel free to e-mail me to the following address:
adriano at pathol.unizh.ch

Alternatively, (but somewhat less conveniently)you can fill
the following fields of e-mail registration
form found below here, and e-mail it back to us!
This way you can be sure that there will be
no transcription mistakes.

Finally (but much less conveniently), you can print out the e-
mail registration form, and fax (or send) it to us at the
following number:
+41-1-255 4402

Registration will be confirmed by our office via regular
mail, as soon as the due amount of fees (for
registration, accommodation etc.) is remitted.

METHODS OF PAYMENT:
- We strongly favor payment via credit card
(Euro/Master/VISA). However, we should alert you of
the (slight) possibility that some malicious hackers
may intercept the e-mail and misuse your card
information. We believe that this is even less likely
than the chance of developing e.g. Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease after consumption of beef, but we cannot take
responsibility for it.
- Alternatively, you can send us a cheque. For
Eurocheques there is no charge, but our bank charges
SFr. 20 for all other bank cheques (which, we agree
with you, is outrageous but inevitable), and which
you need to add to the total fee.
- Finally, you can remit a direct bank wire transfer to
the following account: 1103-0021.713, Zürcher
Kantonalbank, Filiale Limmatquai (Clearing No.703),
CH-8025 Zürich (Keyword: NP/KONGRESS St. MORITZ)
- If you decide to send us a cheque or perform a wire
transfer, we will be able to confirm registration only
after receipt of proof of payment by regular mail.

Below is the registration form. If you decide to register
by e-mail (rather than by using the web site registration
at http://www.unizh.ch/pathol/neuropath/StMoritz98/neuro17a.html),  please
fill every field by typing right after each semicolon. Do
not change or delete any item to the left of the
semicolons, lest our electronic processing system will
not work properly.

IMPORTANT: If you are registering more than one person
(e.g. an accompanying person, or a co-worker), please
fill and e-mail one registration form for each individual
person to be registered.

************** BEGIN OF REGISTRATION FORM ************
Title:
First and middle name:
Family (last) name:
Gender (M/F):
Institution:
Address:
ZIP code:
City (+ state for USA):
Country:
International dial code:
City dial code:
Phone no.:
Fax No.:
E-mail:

Registration (type "x" after the appropriate field)
- Regular, before Oct 31, 1997 (SFr. 200):
- Student/AIP(send proof), before Oct 31, 1997 (SFr.
100):
- Accompanying, before Oct 31, 1997 (SFr. 20):
- Regular, after Oct 31, 1997 (SFr. 250):
- Student/AIP(send proof), after Oct 31, 1997 (SFr.
150):
- Accompanying, after Oct 31, 1997 (SFr. 50):

Accommodation - 4 nights 14-18 March, including
breakfast, tax, and many other goodies (brochure will be
sent upon registration). (type "x" after the appropriate
field)
- single room "comfort"- LIMITED AVAILABILITY (SFr.
540):
- one bed in "comfort" double room (SFr. 440):
- one bed in "comfort" triple room (SFr. 380):
- single room "standard"- LIMITED AVAILABILITY (SFr.
440):
- one bed in "standard" double room (SFr. 380):
- No accommodation requested (SFr. 0.00):

Name of preferred roommate (if in double or triple room):
Participation to social dinner - SFr. 60 (yes/no):

Mode of payment (type "x" after the appropriate field)
 Payment by credit card (preferred)- yes/no:
- card company (Euro/Master/VISA):
- card number (xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx):
- card exp. date (mm-yy):
 Payment by cheque - yes/no:
- Eurocheque (no fee):
- Any other cheque (add 20 SFr. processing fee):
 Payment by bank transfer - yes/no:
(please send us proof of payment by mail)
Total amount to be remitted:
****************** END OF REGISTRATION FORM ************
3. How to submit abstracts
IMPORTANT: Deadline for submission is November 30th,
1997.
- The language of the meeting is English. We will have
both oral and poster sessions. Since we anticipate
fierce competition for space in oral communications,
oral format cannot be guaranteed in advance. If you
submit an oral communication, you will be notified of
acceptance before Dec. 31, 1997. In negative case, you
will be given the option to present your work as a
poster. At any rate, each participant can contribute
only one oral communication (but an unlimited number
of posters).
- Electronic submission of the abstract is imperative
for acceptance and for inclusion in the abstract
booklet. The preferred way to submit an abstract is to
e-mail it as a fully formatted word processor file
attachment to the following address:
Adriano at pathol.unizh.ch
- Alternatively (but less conveniently), you can submit
a "text-only" (i.e. unformatted) abstract. You can
include the text in the body of your e-mail, or submit
through our web site
http://www.unizh.ch/pathol/neuropath/StMoritz98/neuro17a.html
- Whenever possible, the length of each abstract should
not exceed 500 words (but we will not be fiscal about
this). You are highly welcome to include figures and
drawings into your abstracts, as long as these can be
incorporated into a MS-Word or RTF document. We can
read almost all popular word processor formats for
Windows and for Macintosh. MS Word for Windows, or
"Rich Text Format" (RTF), give the least problems and
are preferred.
- Posters can be up to 150cm high, but may not be wider
than 80cm.
- Oral communications are limited to 10 minutes + 2
minutes discussion. Session chairmen and chairwomen
are empowered to implement this time limit, if need
be, with brachial force.

CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT: In addition to the abstract proper,
you are required to fill the fields of the following
form:

***** BEGIN OF ABSTRACT SUBMISSION FORM******************
* PLEASE FILL EVERY FIELD BY TYPING AFTER EACH SEMICOLON*
**** PLEASE SEND ONE FORM FOR EACH ABSTRACT SUBMITTED****
Preferred format (oral/poster):
Authors:
Affiliations:
********** END OF ABSTRACT SUBMISSION FORM **************

4. Preliminary program

5. How to reach St. Moritz
The nearest airport is Zurich. Trains circulate between
Zurich and St. Moritz hourly, and the trip Zurich-St.
Moritz is approximately 3.5 hrs. The rail timetable can
be consulted in the web at the following address:
http://www.rail.ch/english/fpindex.htm
A return ticket from Zurich costs CHF. 109.00 (2nd class)
or CHF 181.00 (1st class)(as of July 1997).
The complete train schedule, and all international
flights to Zurich, can be found at our web site
http://www.unizh.ch/pathol/neuropath/StMoritz98/neuro17a.html
Hotel Laudinella will provide free transportation from
and to the train station upon advance notification.
What happens if you need to cancel your registration and
cannot come to the meeting?

If cancellation is timely, your registration and
accommodation fees will be refunded with the exception of
our bank expenses.
For late cancellation and "no show", fees will incur.

Therefore, the policy outlined below will be applied:

- Cancellation before 30.10.97: 95% refund or higher.
  A total of max. 5% of your remission must be held to
  cover our bank and credit card costs. In certain cases,
  bank costs will be less than 5%: we will then reimburse
  you accordingly, and up to 100%. Under no circumstances
  will reimbursement be less than 95%.

- Cancellation on or after 30.10.97, but before 15.2.98:
  80% refund

- Cancellation on or after 15.2.98, or "no show" at
  meeting: regrettably in this case no refund is possible.

7. Acknowledgments

We are grateful to the following companies and
institutions for financial support:
- Swiss National Foundation
- Novartis
- KGF Foundation Basel
- Boehringer Mannheim (Switzerland)
- Julius-Müller-Stiftung
- Glasmechanik
- Leitz

___________________________________
Prof. Adriano Aguzzi (MRCPath)
Institute of Neuropathology
University Hospital of Zürich
Schmelzbergstrasse 12
CH-8091 Zürich, Switzerland
Tel. ++41-1-255 2107 or 255 2869
Fax: ++41-1-255 4402
pager: ++41-1-255 1111, ask for 181 124 482
E-mail adriano at pathol.unizh.ch

Do check the following web site !
http://www.unizh.ch/pathol/neuropath/StMoritz98/neuro17a.html