joining spinal cord

amateur at uni.ac.uk amateur at uni.ac.uk
Tue Jul 8 18:38:22 EST 1997

F. Frank LeFever wrote:

> In one of the invited lectures at the International Neuropsychology
> Society meeting in Bergen (Norway) last week, a report--in Science, I
> believe, in an issue I must have missed last year?--was  summarized re
> an experiment with rats.  Apparently some degree of functional recovery
> was achieved in some rats--SOME degree, because it was not clear how
> much was based on local reflex and how much on specific signals froom
> higher up.  Will try to post name of speaker when I have the program a
> hand.
>
> Unless I'm confusing it with another aspect of his talk, the trick was
> to use peripheral myeline which does not (as central myelin does)
> inhibit neural growth.
>
> Hmm..coming back to me now...your query re Schwab.  I THINK he's the
> guy I met at ARNMD annual mtg at NY Academy of Medicine last December,
> speaking on the anti-myelin approach.  Again, my brain prostheses
> notes, programs) are at work, but is he perhaps in Switzerland???
> Maybe he's in Soociety for Neuroscience directory.
>
> Frank LeFever
> New York Neuropsychology Group
>
> In <33B84704.5FC5 at ntu.ac.uk> fd601220 at ntu.ac.uk writes:
> >
> >is it possible to join spinal cord so it works properly?
> >Where is Dr.Martin Schwab?
 Thanx 4 yor info., F.Frank;  I'm just a an intersted follower of
med. sci. developments.I herd Dr.Martin Schwab on the BBC Radio4 prog.
Medicine or Science Now, earlier this year; his successes with rats
impressed me.
Is the problem of rejoining a severd spinal chord,that of the bundle
of nerve fibers getting connected to the wrong fiber on the other side
of the join? Assuming,they can be joined at all.