structure of an instinct

Bradley Monroe Cooke bradley at socrates.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 16 00:04:05 EST 1997

In article <33C6EB80.AEBDC10 at kais.kais.kyoto-u.ac.jp>, Yusuke Uchiyama
<yusuke at kais.kais.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> I'm interested in instincts, too. I'm particularly interested in the
> neural basis of the evolution of social behaviors of insects, including
> mating.
>
> I think that we can disthern those qualities which you mentioned by
> developmental neurobiology

My readings of neurodynamical theories of mind (e.g. Freeman, Kelso,
Edelman et al) seem to gloss over the role played by the computations of
small groups of neurons, such as those in the amygdala. Can we infer
function from the selection of particular neural groups during behavior (a
la Neural Darwinism) and what can we learn from the cytoarchitecture of
these neural groups?

and we can discern the principle which gave
> rise to society.

Can individual differences in intelligence and/or social behavior be
inferred from the overall organization or complexity of the cortex? I know
that the mentally retarded present EEG with a lower fractal dimension--
could the same be said about the prejudiced or the zealots of our society?

--
bradley cooke

you are the eyes of the world.
                 --Robert Hunter