Followup - The cancer story is just a story

e adler Elizabeth.M.Adler at WILLIAMS.EDU
Thu Jul 24 14:57:36 EST 1997

I received the following on another mailing list:

>For what it's worth, the chain letter that has been traveling around
>about
>Jessica Mydek is a fraud.  These kinds of messages make periodic
>appearances on the internet for some reason or another and they are
>almost
>always fakes. New medium, old pranks...
>
>Here's the ACS's response, copied from their web site
>(http://www.cancer.org/chain.html):
>

>                      Fraudulent Chain Letter
>
>               "This statement may be copied or reprinted by online users
>
>The American Cancer Society is greatly disturbed by reports of a fraudulent
>chain letter circulating on the internet which lists the American Cancer
>Society as a "corporate sponsor" but which has in no way been endorsed by
the >American Cancer Society. This letter appears to have started on
>America Online but has now spread well beyond the online service. There
>are several variations of this letter in circulation, including one which
has a >picture of "Tickle Me Elmo" and one that is essentially a paraphrase
of the >letter.

>As far as the American Cancer Society can determine, the story of Jessica
>Mydek is completely unsubstantiated. No fundraising efforts are being made
by >the American Cancer Society using chain letters of any kind.
Furthermore, the >email address ACS at AOL.COM is inactive.