p-chlorophenylalanine- oral administration?

Andrew Ray aray at nospam.edu
Fri Jul 25 14:16:55 EST 1997

TWIMC,

   I'm going to be looking at sleep in behaving primates, and might need
to use p-chlorophenylalanine to deplete 5HT neurons.  I couldn't find a
lot of information using Medline - apparently it's not used much in
primates.  If anyone can answer a few questions, I'd greatly appreciate
it.

1.  Can pcpa be given orally, and what dose range is applicable?
2.  Can it be used for an effect within a few hours (e.g. acutely), or
must it be administered over several days before testing?

Oh, and is there a way to prepare it cheaply from commercially available
phenylalanine? I'm on a tight budget.

TIA,
Andrew Ray

NOTE:  DO NOT REPLY TO ABOVE ADDRESS - IT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO DEFEAT
       BULK EMAILERS!!  USE THE ADDRESS BELOW TO REPLY TO ME.

Andrew Ray
Indentured Servant
Emory University Neuroscience Program
aray at emory.edu