para-chlorophenylalanine

Andrew Ray aray at nospam.edu
Mon Jul 28 08:53:54 EST 1997

TWIMC,

    I am studying sleep in rats and primates, and some of my behavioral
tests may wind up involving 5HT depletion.  I would like to use PCPA, but
have three questions:

1.  Can it be given to monkeys orally (e.g. dissolved in juice or mixed
in applesauce), and what would the typical dosage be?
2.  Most protocols describe giving it once a day for 3 days before
behavioral testing (in rats, that is), but can it be given one time just
before testing (i.e. a single large dose up to several hours
pre-testing)?
3.  If single acute administration can be done, what would the dosage be
in this case, and what is
the approximate time course of the effects (i.e. how long before testing
must it be given, when does depletion peak, and when has the animal
returned to near baseline)?

Thanks in advance,

NOTE:  DO NOT REPLY TO ABOVE ADDRESS - IT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO DEFEAT
       BULK EMAILERS!!  USE THE ADDRESS BELOW TO REPLY TO ME.

Andrew Ray
Indentured Servant
Emory University Neuroscience Program
aray at emory.edu