Right vs Left Brain & ADD

Brian Thiel thielbl at primenet.com
Wed Jun 4 08:00:01 EST 1997

T.Gallagher and Laura Miller, given your interest in brain processing
characteristics and ADD, you both might be interested in the long and
densely reasoned theoretical essay (not an empirical study) by Andrew
Abarbanel, Ph.D, M.D., "Gates, States, Rhythms, and Reasonences: The
Scientific Basis for Neurofeedback Training" which was published by Journal
of Neurofeedback and which has been reproduced on the web at...
	www.ssnr.com/aa-nt.htm

>In article <3390CFC4.26C7 at pop.connix.com>, hypercog at pop.connix.com wrote:

>> I ran across a list of right brain vs left brain traits on the web, and
>> the right brain traits read like the diagnostic criteria for attention
>> deficit disorder (ADD), while the left brain traits were all the things
>> ADDer's seem to be missing.  I've heard the theory regarding decreased
>> activity in the frontal lobes, but not anything about left vs right
>> brains. Is this list accurate?

>I'm by no means an expert-just a lowly graduate student who researched
>ADD for a paper in one of my classes..... :)  But, I did come across
>some papers that referred to this hypothesis, and was intrigued by it.
>Maybe someone else here can give an opinion on the theory.

>One paper---  _Journal of Child Neurology_1994 Vol 9 (2): 181-189.
>_Hemispheric Processing and Methylphenidate Effects in Attention-
>Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder_.   The paper references
>other papers that support the hypothesis.

>Abstract:  "To advance our understanding of attention-deficit hyperactivity
>disorder and medication effects we draw upon the evidence for (1) a
>neurotransmitter imbalance between norepinephrine and dopamine in attention-
>deficit hyperactivity disorder and (2) an asymmetric neural control system
>that links the dopaminergic pathways to left hemispheric processing
>and links the noradrenergic pathways to right hemispheric processing.  It
>appears that ADHD may involve a bihemispheric dysfunction characterized by
>reduced dopaminergic and excessive noradrenergic functioning.  In
>turn, favorable medication effects may be mediated by a restoration
>in neurotransmitter balance and by increased control over the allocation
>of attentional resources between hemispheres."

>Any ideas as to how this could happen?  (because I'm interested in
>developmental theories :)

>Laura
>Med. Neurobiology

	Wealth without Work		Pleasure without Conscience
	Knowledge without Character	Commerce without Morality
	Science without Humanity	Worship without Sacrifice
	Politics without Principles	Rights without Responsibilities

 Arun Ghandi, Memphis TN, grandson of the mahatma, says these are the
 eight blunders of ignorance which cause all the violence in the world.

Yes, I, too, have a web page . . . www.primenet.com/~thielbl/