Consciousness

Shaw Green greens at cs.tcd.ie
Thu Jun 5 05:31:13 EST 1997

Hi

  Hmm, intresting one consciousness given that we can only really be
sure that we are ourselves conscious, we assign consciousness to others
on the basis of behaviour consistent with the notion.
   My own personal definition of consciousness is that bit of mental
activity of the most complex nature, the part of the iceberg sticking
out of the water if you like, thus by my definition most animals
would be conscious its simply that their conscious experience would
be different from mine as would yours incidently. I have no real
evidence for this view so would be interested to see someone knock it
down

Shaw