Perhaps a dumb question.. but can I have yout input ?

Jaimie Polson jaimiep at cortex.physiol.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jun 9 01:27:09 EST 1997

In <01bc7346$ec6b6f20$bcd092cf at default> "RANDY MORTELL" <R.C.M. at worldnet.att.net> writes:

>	Hi,
>I was having a discussion with a couple of friends and we disagreed on the
>following:

>	1). The brain originates / controls sexual urges.
>
>	2). The brain originates / controls all body functions (voluntary and
>involantary functions)  ie.. twitches etc....

>	I really appreciate any input from everyone out there, particulary those
>with a medical backround.

>Thank you,

>Randy
>r.c.m. at worldnet.att.net

Well, I don't know about sexial urges. Suspect there is some role for the brain
- regulation of hormones etc, but someone else will know better.  Regarding
question 2, the brain does NOT control all body functions.  There are many
neural reflexes which occur at a spinal level - eg the knee jerk reflex.  These
reflexex can be shown to still be present in animal with the spinal cord
sectioned. Also, twitches can occur in muscles spontaneously, I believe by
the release of neurotransmitter form the motorneurons without any central
input.

cheers,