Perhaps a dumb question.. but can I have yout input ?

Richard Norman rsnorman at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 16:12:02 EST 1997

In article <01bc7346$ec6b6f20$bcd092cf at default>, R.C.M. at worldnet.att.net
says...
>   Hi,
>I was having a discussion with a couple of friends and we disagreed on the
>following:
>   1). The brain originates / controls sexual urges.
>   2). The brain originates / controls all body functions (voluntary and
>involantary functions)  ie.. twitches etc....
>   I really appreciate any input from everyone out there, particulary those
>with a medical backround.
>Thank you,
>Randy
>r.c.m. at worldnet.att.net

What do you mean "originates/controls" -- proximal cause? ultimate cause?
Is this a discussion of the primacy of neural vs. hormonal control?
  of genetic determinism vs. free will?
No matter what, the brain is the vehicle through which all these influences
  "originates" and controls most body functions, especially what we call
  "behavior".
Note that the circulatory, excretory, and digestive systems are rather
  independent and can continue many of their functions without any nervous
  system at all. Also, muscles can "twitch" from peripheral causes, separate
  from the central nervous system.

Richard Norman
Department of Natural Sciences
Univ Mich - Dearborn