multifocal ...demyelinating neuropathy

Han van der Hoeven han.hoeven at net.hcc.nl
Sun Jun 8 08:00:28 EST 1997

On Thu, 02 Jan 1997 11:58:42 -0800, "ray bugg (insect)"
<insect at cris.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I found this newsgroup via alt.epilepsy and thought this may be the
>appropriate place for this request.  We have a friend who has been
>diagnosed as having "multifocal motor sensory demyelinating neuropathy".
>We have tried to find information, but not too successful.  From what we
>have been told, this is very rare, and does not have a great prognosis.
>
>If anyone has information about this disorder, we would appreciate it if
>you could pass it along.
>TIA          Ray.
Hello,
this is indeed a relatively rare disorder. However, a lot of info is
obtainable in the specialized journals. The disorder is treatable by
steroids, plasma exchange and immunoglobuline infusions, sometimes
cytostatica. The best results are generally obtained by
immunoglobulines intravenous once in 3-5 weeks, however, this therapy
is very expensive. The prognosis is not all too bad, often reasonable.

Bibliography

Barohn RJ, Kissel JT, Warmolts JR and Mendell JR: Chronic inflammatory
demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. Clinical characteristics,
course, and recommendations for diagnostic criteria. Arch Neurol 1989;
46:878-884.

Chaudry V, Corse AM, Cornblath DR, Kuncl RW, Drachman DB, Freimer ML,
Miller RG and Griffin JW: Multifocal motor neuropathy: Response to
human immune globulin. Ann Neurol 1993; 33:237-242.

Simmons Z, Albers JW, Bromberg MB and Feldman EL: Long-term follow-up
of patients with chronic inflammatory demyelinating
polyradiculoneuropathy, without and with monoclonal gammopathy. Brain
1995; 118:359-368.

Han van der Hoeven