information about doing vagotomies in rats

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 9 21:10:36 EST 1997

In <5n9jfl$ac2 at cardinal2.Stanford.EDU> tamarab at leland.Stanford.EDU
(Tamara L. Bushnik) writes:

>Our lab is starting a protocol which requires us to perform a
>subdiaphragmatic vagotomy in the rat. However, we are having problems
>finding out exactly how to do this procedure. More precisely, what is
the
>best way to visualize and access the two trunks located near the
>esophagus. If anyone has any information, we would appreciate hearing
from
>you. We can be contacted by e-mail at tamarab at leland.stanford.edu or
by
>phone (415) 493-5000 ext. 63580 (ask for Felicia). Also, if there is
>anyone in the Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) area who is
performing this
>procedure and wouldn't mind an observer for the operation, please let
us
>know.
>
>Thanks for the help.

I would think Linda Watkins and her group (U of Colorado at Boulder)
would know.  They have made the very important demonstration that
peripheral IL-1 does NOT need to squeeze through the blood/brain
barrier to have central effects: the vagus conveys the signal!
Peripheral LPS or IL-1 effects on exploratory behavior are prevented by
vagotomy.

Society for Neuroscience web page has online directory with her e-mail,
FAX, etc.  I (or any SFN member) can look it up for you if you can't
get access.

(just checked title of paper at SFN last November: yes, it is
subdiaphragmatic section)

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group