Essential Tremors

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 9 20:40:35 EST 1997

In <33971AFC.534D at worldnet.att.net> Harry Perini
<hperini at worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Can anyone suggest possible treatments for essential tremors? I have
no
>suggestions from doctors and no explanation or diagnosis for the
cause.
>Is botulism toxin (BoTox) a possible control for hand tremors? Or Beta
>blockers?

BoTox sounds like overkill to me--and where would you inject it?  Beta
blockers have been used.  When I tried to reply to similar question a
few weeks ago, I was "blocked" on the name of one commonly used, but
have since recalled it: Propranolol ("Inderal").

Other beta blockers may be preferred for (e.g.) hypertension, because
of their more selective, "targeted" effect on relevant tissues; but
propranolol's less discriminate (including CNS) effects may be of
advantage here.  Its central effect is evident in its (sometimes)
reducing aggressive outbursts after head injury, and its (sometimes)
causing depression.  Much may depend on the effective dose for a given
condition.   (n.b.: it is also used as prophylaxis for migraine)

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group