in vitro axonal outgrowth: curved vs. straight?

Jaimie Borisoff borisoff at zoology.ubc.ca
Wed Jun 11 16:00:20 EST 1997

We grow chick brainstem explants in culture (on laminin substrates) with
robust (1-3mm length) axonal outgrowth. In most cases the growth is curved
instead of straight. Almost always the growth is in long looping curves in
the same direction. Most of the literature I've looked at shows fairly
straight radial growth, or random outgrowth. Has anyone had any experience
with this in other neuronal systems? Any other thoughts about why this
might be?

Please post or reply to: borisoff at zoology.ubc.ca

Thanks very much.

--