Agrammatism and early child English

Chariton Charitonidis chariton at compulink.gr
Mon Jun 16 16:32:10 EST 1997

Chariton Charitonidis
Zoodochou Pigis 7
14234 N. Ionia
Athens-Greece
tel. 0030-1-2798858

Here are my conclusions from a comparison I made between agrammatism and
early child English. It is a part of my diploma on Aphasia which I began at
the Salzburg University last year. Here in Greece there are unfortunately
only a few references and almost no research on Aphasia. Any comments are
welcome! For the Greek speakers there is the same text in Greek.

CONCLUSIONS

The comparison between Agrammatism and Early Child English offers the
following results: inflection is without fail a problematic category in
both cases. When produced in agrammatism it is usually present through the
auxiliary ('is') in the progressive structure. The cases of the inflected
"has", "sits" and "gives" are totally marginal. Embeddings appear nowhere
in CHILDES data. This is also consistent with Radford's description and his
claim for the absence of a C-system in Early Child English. As concerns the
absence of a D-system in Agrammatism the CHILDES data provide strong
counterevidence. With the exemption of B6 patient the definite article was
present in many cases, the indefinite article, possessive pronouns and
demonstrative pronouns (in decrease order) in fewer ones. This is also
opposed to Grodzinsky's account of Agrammatism: the nonlexical determiner
element is in CHILDES data retained at chance level.