Anyone know about spinal fluids?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 16 20:59:28 EST 1997

I don't know anything about fluid drainage for spinal problems, but do
know of its use for suspected normopressure hydrocephalus--i.e. for a
possible cerebral problem.  With a rapid increase of fluid in the brain
ventricles, there are usually dramatic and easily identified symptoms
(severe headache, for one).

  With a slower buildup, obvious neurological signs may be missing but
eventually a type of dementia may become evident--traditionally, the
syndrome includes dementia, incontinence, and gait disturbance.  A
standard treatment involves placing a shunt (i.e. a small tube) to
drain excess fluid from the brain to a body cavity.

A neurologist at my hospital has sometimes withdrawn fluid from the
spine and used the outcome to judge whether a permanent shunt might be
helpful.  Sometimes this small withdrawal (c. 50cc???) is helpful in
itself.

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <5o1htl$925$2 at thor.atcon.com> bulldogs at auracom.com (Mary-Pat Beaton)
writes:

>I've been searching the web all day trying to find out about
cerebro-spinal
>fluid, and what happens when you've got too much of it.  My aunt had a

>myelogram in something like 1974, at which time they inject your fluid
with a
>dye of some sort, and has a few times since then been asked if she
would allow
>the doctors to drain some of the fluid from her spine.  She won't let
them,
>because the procedure was just horrid to her the first time.  Anyway,
they
>insisted that it wouldn't have any adverse effects.  But she's been
having
>some wicked leg and knee problems in the last two years and nobody can
seem to
>tell her what it is. She's had surgery but that didn't work.  Now
we're
>looking into the possibility that it might be a neurological condition
of some
>sort - maybe MS, but I'm not a doctor, so I can only try so hard.
Anyway, the