Conservatives try to use "biology" to attack gays [again]

Stavros P. Zanos stavrosz at med.auth.gr
Sun Jun 22 01:36:33 EST 1997

Howard Olson wrote about the mis-use of evolution biology in the case of
gays. A "gay gene" would not be selected out of a population due to kin
selection.

Somehow I find it hard to find how a "gay gene" (or similarly a
"schizophrenia gene", which also seems to survive selection, although
it  affects the reproductive phase of life) could contribute to a
"kin-selective" behavior. It seems to me that social evolution poses
further constraints on altruistic behavior, and the latter is not just a
matter of a gene (like in the non-human primates for example).

--
Stavros Zanos
Depts. of Experimental Physiology and Neuroradiology