"Brain freeze"?

CASSIDY-FELTGEN at worldnet.att.net CASSIDY-FELTGEN at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 1 12:11:12 EST 1997

CASSIDY-FELTGEN at worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what mechanism causes the rapid, brief headache pain
> when a cold substance is ingested quickly?  Related to this is my
> question regarding the brain not sensing pain during brain surgery, but
> a person's perception of headaches as localized pain within the brain?
> Is this a paradox or are headaches not actually occuring within the
> brain?

I greatly appreciate the responses.  Sorry, I missed the prior
discussion.  My assumptions about the origination of the pain seem to be
supported, as I also had been previously informed of the constriction of
blood vessels in the in the paranasal regions.  The hypothesis regarding
the melanges is interesting.

I am only in my infancy in learning about brain functioning so I have
many questions.  I am curious if somehow the sensory homunculus is
distorted in regards to the perceptions of certain kinds of head pain.
(cerebral-parietal lobe postcentral gyrus in the primary sensory area)

Can someone help me with tracing this pain path? Does it begin in the
Pterygopalatine ganglion of the maxillary division of V2 of the
trigeminal nerve?  Or does in originate in the mandibular division, or a
combination of the two which lead to the trigeminal ganglion and
sensory root?  Does the trigeminothalamic tract convey the constriction
pain impulses from the lingual/superior alveolar region to the ventral
posterior medial nucleus of the thalamus?  I get lost at this point.
Does the Trigeminal fifth nerve take over?

Or is this all wrong and does it involve the Glossopharyngeal nerve?
Details will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Shelia Cassidy-Feltgen
PsyD Student
University of Sarasota (FL)