"Brain freeze"?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 1 23:02:12 EST 1997

In <5fa2mc$6f at nntp3.u.washington.edu>
jtho at neuron.neurosurgery.washington.edu (Joseph T. Ho) writes:

>The last brain surgery I assisted on a few weeks ago, I don't remember
any
>local anestheic being applied to the meninges.  The patient is given a
general
>anesthetic before the surgery begins and then is given a local along
the line
>of incision for the scalp.  I'm not sure why a local isn't necessary
for the
>meninges.  I think I'll ask next week...
>
>Oh yeah, I'm not a doctor yet either. :)

There's more than one kind of doctor, and I'm not THAT kind, but I'm
ONE kind.  A guess re (if you say so) lack of pain from cutting
meninges:  maybe responsive only to stretching, not cutting?  I seem
to recall reading MANY years ago that the same was true re cutting vs.
stretching intestines.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

jtho at u.washington.edu
>School of Medicine                                  University of
Washington