VIRUS !!!

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Mar 7 00:42:35 EST 1997

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Keith Christoffers wrote:

> Pierre, this is a hoax.  Every year we get one or two of these.

Not entirely. The message itself is a memetic virus. It autoreplicates,
using usenet's resources. It does little damage besides.

> E-mail in and of itself can never be a virus, it IS NOT AN EXECUTABLE
> FILE.  That is the basic principle behind it.  If there is an
> attachment along with the e-mail that is deliberately downloaded and
> executed, yes it can be a virus.  From all the information provided,
> it is not such a thing.

True enough. But I bet the next Microsoft mailer will search incoming mail
for executable attachments, be they VB, Java, or a cooking recipe, and act
upon them. That's progress.

ciao,
'gene

|mailto:ui22204 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de |transhumanism >H, cryonics,         |