Psychological Concepts and Neuroscience

Ronald Blue rcb5 at MSN.COM
Fri Mar 7 20:03:06 EST 1997

----------
From: 	nobody at valise.com on behalf of Christian Francais
Sent: 	Friday, March 07, 1997 4:26 PM
To: 	neur-sci at net.bio.net
Subject: 	Psychological Concepts and Neuroscience

Is it possible to deduce psychological concepts from neuroscientific
studies, esp. those dealing with single-neuron experiments?
In the reverse instance, can psychological concepts be applied to
neural mechanisms?  Especially, I have in mind Jungian Psychology,
and the concepts of the 'archetype' and the 'collective unconscious'.
Is there any neuroscientific literature dealing with this aspect?
--  Christian

     Yes to both of your questions.  Science is a collective effort.
     Information that lives on and is repeated would be considered
     to be in the zeitgeist.  While it is still to early to know for
     sure, I feel Correlational Opponent-Processing meets both of
     your criteria.  If you want the paper ask for at
     http://www.aston.ac.uk/~batong/Neutronics

     Ron Blue