Obtaining a Brain

Guy Hermans ghermans at luc.ac.be
Tue Mar 11 06:01:13 EST 1997

In article <5g1noh$m5k at bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>, sadair at chat.carleton.ca
(Shane) wrote:

>         I was wondering what would be involved in obtaining a human
> brain.  Where would one go to get a brain?  How much do they sell for?
> Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.  Thanx a bunch :)

We regulargly need some to purify myelin antigens. Why don't you just
strike a deal with the mortuarium/pathology dept. of the local hospital?
Just tell them you want it frozen/fixed/whatever immediately after
post-mortem exam and give you a call.
If you're looking for specialties (brains from specific disease victims),
contact your national neurological society; they usually know if there's a
brain respository in the country and how to get the 'stuff' you need.

Greetings,

Guy Hermans

--
Guy Hermans, PhD student
  Ms research Unit              Immunology research group