neurological effects of exercise

Michael Brach michael.brach at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Mar 11 04:15:23 EST 1997

Ron Baer wrote:

> I am looking for research on the neurological effects of the brain
> during exercise. More specific proof of increase in brain activity
> during exercise. Thank you.

The following refers to physical exercise and EEG:
There are some special technical requirements to record EEG during
physical exercise. Nevertheless, delta, theta, and beta bands are often
confounded by artifacts.
Alpha spectral density and the center alpha frequency decreases above
parietal and central areas. But since there are increments after
exercise, you cannot interpret
'alpha increases = brain activity increases'
'alpha decreases = brain activity decreases'
or the other way round.

I think brain activity and central nervous activiation are to be
considered as multi-dimensional quantities.