Sound localization

Ken Catchpole kenc at psychology.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 10:54:36 EST 1997

In article <3317cecb.1285622 at nntp.ix.netcom.com>, ruprik at ix.netcom.com wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:32:26 +0000, Richard Tuck
><rtuck at tuck-asc.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.970226160918.11876A-100000 at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>>"Wei C. Lin" <wlin2 at uiuc.edu> writes
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>       I am studying the machinism of sound localization, which is
>>>thought to be accomplished by using the interaural temporal difference (ITD)
>>>and interaural level difference (ILD). ITD is thought to be achieved by
>>>neuronal delay line, and will divide azimuth into several partitions.
>>>
>>>       Does someone hear of any theory which accounts how the ILD is
>>>used along with ITD to divide the auditory space, especially how ILD is
>>>used to estimate the distance of sound source?
>>

>Head-related transfer functions (or HRTFs) are used to describe the
>direction-specific filtering of sound that includes both azimuth and
>elevation. They are currently being used to create vitrual acoustic
>environments in the 3-D sound devices over headpones. Fred Wightman at
>the U of Wisconsin has done considerable research on this. Starkey's
>upcoming digital aid, developed at the House Ear Institute, is suppose
>to reintroduce the user's 0-degree HRTF in both magnitude and phase.
>
>Cheers,
>
>--Brent

I realise I'm a little behind the thread here, but....

Try:  Middlebrooks and Green (1991)  Sound Localisation by Human
Listeners.  Annual Review of Psychology 42, pp135-159.

Or:  Wightman and Kistler (1993).  Sound Localisation.  In Yost,
Popper and Fay (eds.), Human Psychophysics (pp155-192).  London:
Springer-Verlang.

I'm currently researching a PhD. in Sound Localisation, so I'm
*fairly* up on these things - so feel free to mail me with questions.

Ken.

*********	|You may know what I don't know
***   ***	|But not that I don't know it
***   ***	|So you will have to tell me everything....
			'Knots' - R D Laing
kenc at psychology.leeds.ac.uk