help with growing neurons on circuits

timmck timmck at fau.campus.mci.net
Mon Mar 10 23:25:40 EST 1997

Finder wrote:

> I am trying to locate any information on growing neurons on circuit boards,
> or grafting them. Also linking humans direct to machines via nerves etc.
> Anything to do with AI and transfer of personalities to hardware etc. Any
> starting points would be greatly appreciated. (this is for a disertation
> for my brother so forgive me for the lack of technical knowledge)
> spencer at d-art.demon.co.uk
I read in the August, 1996 issue of Wired magazine about a Dr. Peter
Fromherz, at the Max Planck Institue in Germany who had successfully
connected leech neurons using a transistor (or was it resistor?). This
seems to be the most advanced stuff out there concerning your question
(if I am wrong about this, please post it up on this newsgroup - I love
this topic). This is being done in vitro though - the article speculates
that proteins will interfere with the transistor, so in vivo has not
been suceeded yet. I checked out his web page (find him by putting his
name in quotes on Webcrawler, and look for Max Planck listings). The
articles I have so far stumbled upon (either through his web site or
Medline) are quite interesting, and I am fascinated by the eventual
implications of this work (spinal cord reconstruction, etc.). Hope this
helped.

J. Tim McKenna
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Psychology