Head trauma: chronic studies

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 11 23:08:13 EST 1997

I am looking for CHRONIC studies.  Ideally, fluid percussion procedure
(rats), mild vs. moderate vs. severe grades, with animals looked at
several months later.  Ideally, neurochemical, histological, and
behavioral data.

But I'll take what I can get.  Will not reject human studies
(especially if you know of some I would not have found via
Medline--Abstracts, works in progress, non-indexed journals, etc.), but
I am looking especially for chronic rat or other animal studies.

At Society for Neuroscience (Nov. 96), Linda Phillips presented data on
rats surviving 30 days, but this is truly unusual, so far as I can see.
 Most studies involve sacrifice after a day or so, rarely more than a
week after trauma.

I have posted a request for info on "serial lesion" or "priming" or
"preconditioning" studies with intervals longer than the traditional
ones (i.e. the ones looking at acute priming effects), but ANY paradigm
with long survival times is welcome.

For replies too long for email:  FAX usa (914) 947-3350

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
Helen Hayes Hospital
West Haverstraw, NY 10993, USA