Can Applet flickering elicit epileptic attacks?

Anthonie Muller awjm at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 13:38:33 EST 1997

Hi everyone,

I know that fluctuating light can induce epileptic attacks
(by the way, is any mechanism known? I am a biophysicist, and know a
little bit about epilepsy).

Now Applets flicker a lot.
I know that the flicker can be diminished with double buffering,
but nevertheless some flickering remains.

Can I choose a certain sleep time value in my Applet?

Should I put a disclaimer for epileptics on my website?

Does anyone know about the legal aspects of this all? Can I get sued?

Or is there no problem at all?

Anthonie Muller

The Thermosynthesis Home Page
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~awjm