Emotions

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at freenet.Victoria.BC.CA
Fri Mar 14 15:44:38 EST 1997

In a previous article, John Hicks <jwjhix at cogsci.ed.ac.uk> says:

> ****> "Arthur" == Arthur T Murray <uj797 at freenet.Victoria.BC.CA> writes:

> Arthur> Until dislodged by falsification, the Standard Model of the
> Arthur> Mind:

> Arthur> Associative tags cause the word "dog" to be reactivated and

> You are wrong because in many languages, French for example, the word
> "dog" is not used.

> --
>         john hicks (jwjhix at cogsci.ed.ac.uk)
>                                            So many chords,
>           (Centre for Cognitive Science,     so little time
>                   University of Edinburgh)
>                   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~jwjhix

Thank you for the comment.  Please realize that the English word
"dog" was used only as an example.  Now the mind-diagram is modified
below to show how the idea of "dog" can activate both the word "dog"
in English, and the Japanese word "inu"--which happens to mean "dog":

  Hearing    Vision    Concepts Volition Emotion   Motor Output
 /iiiiiii\  /!i!i!i!\                             /YYYYYYYYYYYY\
| | ||||| || ||||||| |   +                       | |||||||||||| |
| |d<-----||-|-----|-|---+                       | |||||||||||| |
| |||||o| || | ___ | |   +                       | |S|||||||||| |
| ||g|||| ||  /   \--|-->+_                      | |H|||||||||| |
| || |||| || <image> |  /  \                     | |A|||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||  \___/  | <idea>               __   | |K|||||||||| |
| ||| ||| ||         |  \__/-------------->/  \  | |E|||R|||||| |
| |||i<---||---------|---+        ____    <fear>-|->*|||U|||||| |
| ||||n|| ||         |   +------>/    \<---\__/  | |||||N|||P|| |
| ||||||u ||         |   +      / de-  \---------|----->*|||E|| |
| ||||||  ||         |   +     <  ci-   >        | |||||||||T|| |
| ||||||| ||         |   +      \ sion /---------|--------->*|| |
| ||||||| ||         |   +       \____/          | |||||||||||| |

However, I grant you, Mr/Dr Hicks, that the brain-mind diagram is
over-simplified.  Only a syntactic *tree*, and not a single idea-
fiber, should be activating either "dog" or "inu", but not both.

Likewise the depicted arrangement for "Motor Output" indicates
only the associative mechanism of selecting a pre-learned pattern
from the motor repertoire, without displaying the complex involvement
of the cerebellum -- whose function I (Arthur) will never be capable
of understanding with my non-mathematical brain, even though on
16.AUG.1974 I purchased "The Cerebellum as a Neuronal Machine" (1967)
by my scientific hero Eccles and his colleagues Ito and Szentagothai.