Can Applet flickering elicit epileptic attacks? (and screen dancing too?)

Philippe Schweizer Philippe.Schweizer at pcm.bosch.de
Fri Mar 14 02:24:08 EST 1997

     Dear Sir,

I follow the comp.lang.java news group since a while, and
this subject retain my attention.

I work in a office close to a main railway line which is
electrified. All our computer monitors, indepedantly of the
monitor brand or the computer type) are swinging. The
amplitude of the swing varies during the day, and is
dependent of the monitor orientation respective to the
railway. At some times the move of the image on the screen
making reading of character barely possible.

It took us a long time to be conscient of the phenomena and
more to indentify its source. Many of my colleagues strongly
complain about the nuisance. I am myslef very tired after
work and my viewing capacity is not affected (as I believe, I
have made no viewing test), but I see the thing fuzzy after
work.

To solve the problem, the only way seems to buy a shielding
device which is quite as expensive as a high-end portable PC.
Naturally, we have not got such a device.

I am trying to contact the railway company to see if the have
some low cost solution to propose. Here this perturpation is
big because a side the two contact line, there are also
electric poles which serve to provide the electricity for the
whole 40 miles of that heavy railway line section.

Have you already heard about similar perturbations problems.

Best regards

  Philippe Schweizer