oscilloscopes that interface w/computers via parallel port, etc

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 17 02:56:22 EST 1997

On 17 Mar 1997, jacob wrote:

> I am a highschool student experimenting with crayfish giant axons, the effects
> of chlorinated hydrocarbons and other substances on the axon potential and
> firing rate.
>
> I need some sort of storage oscilloscope, and am aware that these are expensive
> and not plentiful.  I saw an add for a probe that interfaces with a pc from
> radio shack.  Any idea of the quality of this?

There are plenty of PC ISA 'scope cards around, coming with Windows
software. They are going up to 20 MHz, the cheap ones. However, since
you will be sampling just in kHz range, why not taking a low-noise
opamp, operating from a battery, and a sound card? Using Linux (check
out Linux multimedia guide for sound programming) with a cheap sound
card would appear the cheapest solution.

> Any pointers to schematics of an op-amp that could amplify the milivolt axon
> potential?  help would be appriciated. thank you.

Alas, all my references are in Kraut. I suggest you fire up a search engine.

ciao,
'gene

|mailto:ui22204 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de |transhumanism >H, cryonics,         |
|mailto:Eugene.Leitl at uni-muenchen.de    |nanotechnology, etc. etc.           |