Can Applet flickering elicit epileptic attacks?

Ian Blair igb at emphasys.com.au
Sun Mar 16 23:34:06 EST 1997

In article <E71nFs.K2s at msi.com>, Kenneth Warner <warner at iris161.msi.com> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>A resonable concern.  But if a flickering applets can bring on an epileptic
>seizure, what about strobing, fast cut, tv commercials that have a dynamic
>intensity range much greater than a flashing applet.  I am not epileptic,
[snip]
>The exposure to these kinds of commercials is far wider than the
>exposure to flickering applets, yet no incidents have been reported
>by the news media.  I'm sure they'ed jump all over a story like that.
>
>Ken

It would seem to me that even if tv commercials did induce epileptic
seizures, that certainly at least the televisual media would actively
avoid the topic due to the fact that most of this industry has a huge
vested interest in advertising. BTW I am an epileptic, although not
photo-sensitive.

              Ian Blair - Emphasys Corporation Pty Ltd
 Level 2, 34-36 Chandos Street, St Leonards, N.S.W. 2065, Australia
email:igb at emphasys.com.au   Voice:61-2-9906-4611  Fax:61-2-9906-4747