AIDS Dementia

Laurie Davison ldavison at pop.uky.edu
Mon Mar 17 12:26:31 EST 1997

Just a question...
    I was discussing the work of Simon LeVay from a few years ago in
which he correlated the size of hypothalamic nuclei with sexual
orientation and a friend asked whether the results of the study might be
attributed to deterioration of the brain due to AIDS, which many of the
gay male subjects had died of. I told her that I thought it likely that
the dementia associated with advanced AIDS would be localized in areas
other than the hypothalamus, but the fact is, I just don't know. Can
anyone out there give me an opinion on this? Thanks!

-Laurie-