oscilloscopes that interface w/computers via parallel port, etc

Bernie Arruza junior1 at ibm.net
Tue Mar 18 20:36:10 EST 1997

In <5gjhib$a2a at sifon.cc.mcgill.ca>, Gerald Pollack <gpollack at bio1.lan.mcgill.ca> writes:
>>   mervin at execsior.net (jacob) writes:
>>  I am a highschool student experimenting with crayfish giant axons, the effects
>>  of chlorinated hydrocarbons and other substances on the axon potential and
>>  firing rate.
>>
>>  I need some sort of storage oscilloscope, and am aware that these are
>expensive
>>  and not plentiful.  I saw an add for a probe that interfaces with a pc from
>>  radio shack.  Any idea of the quality of this?
>
>No idea about the Radio Shack probe, but another inexpensive approach might
>be to use a sound card to digitize your recordings. I have a vague recollection of
>an article about a sound-card and pc-based digitial storage oscilloscope; you
>might check the Journal of Neuroscience Methods for the past year or two.

Also, get your hands on the May 1996 issue of the Circuit
Cellar, INK. There is a whole article on a do-it-yourself
Digital Storage Scope for the Mac. A PC solution is easier
because the microcontrollers are more readily available.

Another handy article: September 1996 Circuit Cellar, INK
"Designing Medical Electronic-Device Prototypes"
You may not care a whole lot about your subject :-)
but...second do no fry <G>

http://www.circellar.com/

Bernie Arruza.
Boca Raton, Fl USA