Are brains necessary?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 27 23:23:40 EST 1997

In <y5hdmc7$9ls$1 at oravannahka.Helsinki.FI> Dag Stenberg
<stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI> writes:

>Dag Stenberg <stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote:
>> DrGG4 <drgg4 at aol.com> wrote:
>> > I wonder who here is familiar with John Lorber's studies of people
with
>> > virtually no brains? Fully functioning adults with little more
than a
>> > millimeter of cortex

This sounds truly  remarkable until you realize tht this is the normal
thickness of cortex, in both rats and men (and women)..

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group

 and nothing other than huge ventricles beneath that.

"Nothing other" is of course a figure of speech.  The cortex
communicates with the outside world (including the rest of the body)
through long fiber tracts (internal capsule, optic radiations, etc.)
and subcortical relay stations (e.g. thalamus), and records its
communications by way of the (subcortical) hippocampus, etc., etc.

Cut off, floating freely on the waves, the cortex would be deaf, blind,
dumb--unable to make small talk and  impress the neurologist with its
"normalcy".

Another responder (from NZ?) suggested neuropsych tests might disclose
deficits. It is well-known that even milder degrees of hydrocephally
may produce people capable of "cocktail party" speech--superficially
saying something, but without much substance.  Various visual-spatial
abilities are often impaired as well, a fact not often noticed in
clinical interviews...