Vertebrate/Invertebrate

Stavros P. Zanos stavrosz at med.auth.gr
Mon Mar 31 09:10:47 EST 1997

Stephen Dunn <stephend at cogs.susx.ac.uk> wrote in article
<u1913b6ffj.fsf at rsunx.crn.cogs.susx.ac.uk>...

> Can anyone direct me to some good references that discuss the
> differences between neuronal functioning in vertebrates and
> invertebrates?

You might be interested in checking the work of R.D. Beer (Case Western
Reserve Univ., Cleveland, Ohio) on computational invertebrate
neuroethology. For example:

R.D. Beer "Intelligence as Adaptive Behavior: An Experiment in
Computational Neuroethology", Academic Press, 1990.

Beer, R.D., Ritzmann, R.E. and McKenna, T., Eds. (1993). Biological Neural
Networks in Invertebrate Neuroethology and Robotics. Academic Press.

A complete list of Beer's work can be found at

http://yuggoth.ces.cwru.edu/papers/pubs.html

Hope this helps.