B21@prodigy.net <which classes should I enroll in next?>

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 1 21:38:00 EST 1997

Maybe the situation is so bad that people have to begin serious career
preparation in high school and specialize in college; but there was a
time when those four college years were your best and perhaps last
chance (until retirement?) to study anything that caught your interest.
Indeed, your better colleges asked you to try a few that had NOT caught
your interest--i.e. to see what the whole range of arts and sciences
had to offer.

Many people (I am one) come to a specialty midway through graduate
school that is far from what they imagined they wanted as
undergraduates.

Even if you do continue in your interest in neurology/neurosurgery
(whatever), don't waste this precious opportunity to learn of things
beyond (useful or not), and to learn things about yourself.

As a neuropsychlogist (experimental and clinical), I would argue for
learning something about behavioral methodology (for that matter, basic
scientific procedure) which may get scant attention in medical
school--i.e., experimental psych and statistics; also, solid courses in
learning/perception/motivation/physiological psych (any or all)--if you
want a more practical supplement to med-school preparation for
neurology/neuropsychology.

With increasing interdisciplinary "generic" neuropsych/neuroscience
research, the situation is improving, but one still sees tooo often a
million dollars of technology yoked with two-bit "off the top of one's
head" cognitive/behavioral measures or manipulations; so any
sophistication you can get along these lines would be good.

(In contrast to work by such excellent behavioral neurologists as Ken
Heilman, Herman Buschke, Mark Desposito, et al.)

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group