Majoring In Neuroscience

Mike Braden cybin at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon May 5 01:24:14 EST 1997

Hey there,
Im in biochem at the UO who is interested in neuroscience and related
fields.  Although I have no ide of common requirements for a major, I can
give a good guess.  Most likely, in freshman year, they will have you take
gen bio and gen chem.  But as you indicated, you will most likely test out
of these.  A year of Organic Chem will most likely come  next, so you
might look into that.  There will also most likely be math requirements up
to or including calculus.  Just about all colleges require broad general
education requirements (like english, social studies, writing,
multicultural, etc), and it is usually a good idea to get these out of the
way so you can take the upper division classes you want in latter years.
Your best bet is probably to take a really rounded out schedule of
general crap that you have to trudge through, maybe with some requirements
for your major (although your AP classes should take care of the usual
freshman stuff).  Good luck, study hard, and party even harder!

aloha
mike braden