alpha waves

Curt Siffert siffert at shell.
Mon May 5 22:44:57 EST 1997

Can anyone tell me why alpha waves are considered a good thing?  I'm
trying to do some serious research on alpha waves (as well as delta,
theta, beta, sre, and high beta), and everything that turns up on the
web just keeps on talking about "peak performance" and how you can never
have enough alpha.  It's annoying.  I am in an extremely high alpha
state all the time and it makes it very hard to concentrate and focus,
and it also contributes to anxiety and problems with sleep, as well
as being a major mental block in creativity.  Now I'm concerned because
I'm going through EEG Biofeedback to calm the alpha waves down and I
feel like I don't understand what is going on.  Can anyone tell me more
about alpha waves and how (when) it can be too much of a good thing?
And/or direct me to some *good* resources about this sort of thing
(that I don't need a degree in neuroscience to understand)?  Should
I consider seeing a neurologist about this?

Thanks,
Curt Siffert

--
Curt Siffert