alpha waves

Terrence M. Brannon brannon at bufo.usc.edu
Thu May 8 11:11:43 EST 1997

Alexander R Terrill <terrill+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Excerpts from netnews.bionet.neuroscience: 7-May-97 Re: alpha waves by
> Kevin Spencer at s.psych.ui
> > First, alpha activity is typically
> > enhanced when a person is "resting", that is, not engaged in a mentally-
> > demanding task but is asleep.  So I would say that enhanced alpha activity
> > is associated with relaxation.  It's one of the easiest EEG phenomena to
> > observe.
>
> Exactly...
>
> One correction though.  Alpha waves are present when the person is awake
> with the eyes closed. When the eyes are opened, other sensory stimuli
> impinge, or mental activity is performed, the alpha waves vanish.  This
> is called an alpha blocade.  These alpha waves are espicially deominate

I dont exactly agree with this. If the eyes are open and you are
engaged in seeing, then yes. However, if you have ever noticed someone
trying to recall something, they tilt their head and eyes back. This
is done to throw them into alpha mode... with the eyes open.
--
o============o Sending  unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE) to this address
 Legal Notice  is indication of your consent to pay me $120/hour for 1 hour