brain

hefeng at cz3.nus.sg hefeng at cz3.nus.sg
Thu May 8 04:32:15 EST 1997

Is there really free will?
Many would answer yes. When someone said he made a decision, he meant that
he CHOSE to make that decision, there is nothing that could stop him if he
didn't want to stop.
This puzzles me a bit. Is the brain a deterministic mechine at the neuro
level? If so, there will be no free will at all, our thoughts are all
results of physics laws! Maybe we think we can make whatever decisions we
feel like to but in fact we can't?
Maybe the brain is not deterministic and owns that to quantum mechanics?
Or maybe the extreme complexity of the brain has something to do with the
apparent uncertainty in our thinking?
And do we really have control over our thoughts? Have you ever tried to
forget something?
He Feng
e904952p at hjc.edu.sg

ps If it's not too much trouble, please drop me a line at the above
address if you'd like to post something about my article. My school
doesn't have access to Usenet so it's sometimes difficult for me to keep
track of the discussion. Thank you.